Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Global Warming: An Inconvenient Truth

Since our last class discussion on Thursday about what our final projects would be I have been searching for something that I was interested in and actually wanted to write about. To my surprise the source that peeked my interest was a movie that I watched over the weekend. An Inconvenient Truth, a documentary about global warming and the implications that it has and will continue to have on our planet. I had heard many different things about global warming and the movie before watching it. I must admit that I was one of the non believers; but that’s not what this film is about. It isn’t trying to put blame on anyone and it doesn’t have any other ulterior motives, political or not. It simply presents facts from many independent sources and makes the viewer want to do his or her part to help solve the problem. After watching the film it seemed clear to me that global warming is happening and it is something that we can and must address.
What really surprised me was that the film offered so much undeniable evidence to support its claim but it is still not something that is taken seriously by the mass. Studies upon studies have been conducted that prove global warming is occurring and it will only continue to occur. In the last 30 years, 400,000 square miles of Artic sea ice has melted. Whole states will be submersed in as early as 50 years. Anyone who has seen the trailer, which if you cannot find time to see the movie, at least watch the trailer, can spout out several astonishing statistics that are quite frankly scary.
One would think that something of this magnitude, something with so many implications on millions of lives that the government would take action. So what has the government done? Absolutely nothing. My intention is to put together a timeline of events that show what global warming has done to our planet; also I intend to write a formal research paper about global warming. Hopefully this project will be able to inform people of what global warming is and what it means to us as a society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home