Thursday, February 22, 2007

So if the purpose of the new, revised version of our blogs is to get to know each other better, than in that spirit I will share a big part of my life with everyone, SPORTS! I know it may come as a shocker for a guy my age to value sports and view it as an integral part of their life, but I do. Of course I have my favorites; football, basketball, baseball (GO YANKEEYS!) but lately I have become more and more interested in all other sports. I never thought I would here myself say these words, let alone write them, but I don’t even mind watching Nascar, if no other big sporting event is on of course. I am not sure if poker is considered a sport but I love playing and even watching poker on TV, little crazy right? It doesn’t stop at watching sports but sport shows are big as well. All I gotta say is, thank god for ESPN. My girlfriend can’t stand it when I watch sports and even more so when I watch sports shows like Mike and Mike in the morning or PTI, etc. but I am slowly bringing her over to the “dark force”. I can get her to watch football with me if the Colts are playing, a small step but none the less a step. I don’t know what I would do if sports weren’t in my life, I need to watch and talk sports; it’s like breathing for me.
Anyway, I bring this up not only because it is a way for people to get to know me better, but also because for me sports act like a “third place”. I can go to a live game with some friends, watch a game on TV, or even just sit around and talk sports. It is a way for me and my friends to talk about something we all care about and are interested in. No matter where or what is going on sports is a good way to “break the ice” by the way for anyone who can’t think of anything to say. Honestly, I talk sports with random strangers just like they were a long lost friend.
At first I didn’t think I would be able to come up with anything to write about that would be interesting, not that I am claming that I have, but I just thought writing 500 words a week of basically anything was going to be a disabling constraint, but the freedom is nice. I find myself looking at others’ blogs to see what they have been writing about and how their blogs are coming. This is a good thing because it is the whole point of having us do these blogs and until this week I hadn’t looked at anyone else’s. Basically what I am trying to say is that the change in what our blogs should be has worked, at least so far; it has gotten me to look at other people’s blogs.

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Cindy R said...

Just to let you know me better....I am going to a Yankees' game over Spring Break. I go to New York with a teacher friend of mine and last year I dragged her to a couple of serious plays. This is the year of payback--she loves Derek Jeeter (spelling) and she insists we go to Yankee Stadium before they tear it down. I'm all for the historic experience!
CGR

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger 260oakley said...

I envy you! I lived out east for most of my childhood and never got to see a game. That is one of the things I want to do before I die. I guess it will have to be after they tear down Yankee Stadium.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home