Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The other day I was looking through the syllabus for this class and to my unpleasant surprise I noticed that our final projects are to be presented in a few weeks. I have yet to really dig in and start my project. I have some initial ideas of what I want to do and what I want the final piece to say but as far as formulating the project I have yet to start. So I decided this blog would begin my process and hopefully get me going.
As many of you know my final project is over the issue of Global Warming. I have decided that instead of a traditional research paper that would be essentially pointless, I am going to make an informative DVD. I feel that in more people would prefer to watch something than to read a “boring” research paper. The idea of making a DVD stemmed from my previous experience making a short multimedia project in Power Point. Instead of making a presentation like project I am hoping to use other software that would allow the project to be like a DVD. More people are familiar with DVD’s now and I think it won’t take on any negative connotations in peoples’ minds like a presentation might. Also it would be easy to distribute. If we were to present our projects, this would be an easy way to present my project. I could distribute the DVD at schools, libraries, or even just leave a copy in someone’s mailbox. Having the ability to reach so many people with this DVD is definitely an advantage. It would also be a cheap method of distribution. Blank DVD’s are not expensive when bought in large quantities so the costs associated with distributing the DVD would be minimal. For these reasons I feel that making a “movie” if you will, would be not only a more creative way of getting my message across but also a more impact full way.
In order to actually make the DVD I will need to familiarize myself with the different software available to me that would allow me to make the DVD. This will no doubt be the most challenging part of the process. I am not very knowledgeable about these software programs and how to use them. I think I will probably use a program called, Final Cut Pro. Fortunately it is available on campus because these programs can cost hundreds of dollars. Also from my preliminary research of this program it will be suitable for what I intend to use it for. Hopefully I will be able to familiarize myself with this software enough and quickly enough to finish my project and make it meaningful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home